Wednesday, 2 December 2009

Wednesday round-up of deliciousness

First, and foremost, big thanks to Jenny from the Red Mangetout for last week's excellent round-up - there were some really great links there. And I was amazed to see how many people were inspired by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's pear cake. I really must get around to making that myself soon. 
And secondly before we get to the round-up proper, I must just mention Food Blogger Connect, a most stupendous event I attended on Saturday. It took place in a splendid restaurant called Levant in London and I popped down for the day. It was a really excellent, inspiring event, with talks on food photography, finding your voice and social networking. The only problem was that the time passed so fast that suddenly lunch was done, the talks had finished and it was time to brave the rain and tootle off back to Cambridge. But there's talk of another, longer one in June, to which I say hurrah!
So, let's start with a round-up of fab food bloggers who attended and their posts about the event. Our fabulous speakers were Meeta from What's For Lunch Honey?, Kang from London Eater, Jeanne from Cook Sister! and Jamie from Life's a feast. I was particularly excited to see Jeanne and Jamie as I am an avid follower of both those blogs - and they didn't disappoint. Together they did a really interesting presentation about finding your voice. I'm still trying to decide if I'm a writer who likes cooking or a cook who likes writing (maybe neither!), and I'm sure I'll be thinking about a lot of their points for quite a while. The other organisers were Bethany of Dirty Kitchen Secrets, Mowie of Mowielicious and Hilda of Saffron & Blueberry - check out their websites for their write-ups. Then head over to a few attendee's websites - Maison Cupcake, Kitchen Butterfly, Cooking Your Dream and Sunita's World, as well as this write-up from Paul of Get Me Cooking. And I can guarantee that by the time you've seen all those, you'll have seen more beautiful shots of mezze and smiling blogger types than you ever thought possible! 
Oh, and one last thing. Jeanne talked to us about the BloggerAid Cookbook, so I'd just like to mention it and encourage any American readers particularly to invest. It looks really beautifully put together and is for a great cause. If you're interested, head over here for Jeanne to tell you all about it. 
Right, back to Wednesday round-up business as usual! Let's start with this luscious looking Sticky toffee bread and butter pudding from the Graphic Foodie. It was so good it converted her to stodgy puds, though I need no such conversion - just the name of this little number gets my mouth watering. Also very firmly in the camp of delicious stodge, I would say, is this boxty from the Daily Spud. I'd never heard of it before, but it turns out to be an Irish potato dish, and the post gives three different methods of cooking it, all from an authentic Irish mammy. Another potatoey dish that caught my eye this week was these cute Chive potato balls from Allotment 2 Kitchen. They look easy peasy but delicious - all crunchy on the outside and soft and potatoey on the inside. Yum!
Meanwhile, I'm obviously craving a bit of curry, as I have picked out a lot of dishes with curry flavours from the last week. This Prawn Coconut Laksa from The British Larder looks just heavenly, with a fragrant home-made paste. My Colombian Recipes had a guest post from Velva of Tomatoes on the Vine about this Tropical Curried Chicken with Rice - it's a prizewinner and everything! Meanwhile, Stephen and Kerri of Dinner Diary have produced two amazing curry posts this week. The first is nothing short of a feast - Rogan Josh, Chana Dal, Spiced Cauliflower and Naan bread from Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookery. And then there's this enticing Indonesian Chicken Curry - another one that starts with a fragrant paste that you can almost smell as you read the ingredients.
There were a few extremely easy little dishes around this week. This recipe for Pasta with Fried prosciutto, Parmesan and Butter from Orangette has a grand total of five ingredients, and likes like a really simple but delicious dish. Eggs can always be relied on for quick and simple, so I really like the sound of both these Eggs baked in Phyllo with Goats cheese and Bacon and these Eggs baked in cream. However am I going to decide how to bake my eggs first?
Now, please don't think that I've forgotten about the sweet things. (Really, what are the chances of that?!) Firstly, I need to dash out and get myself some plums, so that I can make these Mini Sugar Plum Tarte Tatins from Maison Cupcake and this Plum tart from Foodycat. Then, it wouldn't be a round-up without at least one cupcake and/or muffin recipe, so how about one of each? Blueberry muffins from Let Her Bake Cake and Burnt butter brown sugar cupcakes from The Caked Crusader both look so soft and inviting. 
And to finish, a couple of recipes for classics that I'd like to perfect. Firstly, this White tin loaf from Domestic Goddess in Training looks so perfect - it just screams out to be made into a massive pile of bacon sandwiches. And who amongst you can resist a good dollop of aioli? I certainly can't and thus will have to try this Julia Child aioli recipe from Through My Kitchen Window. Any suggestions about what to have it with would be most welcome!

11 comments:

  1. I really wish I could have gone to FBC, it sounds like it was a great day out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, you should come to the next one - I think the plan is to have two days in June. Check the website (www.foodbloggerconnect.com) - I'm sure they'll put the details up soon. It would be fab to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMM! I always get so hungry reading your blog (and I just ate breakfast!). I am going to buy that cookbook. I love the idea behind it and that 100% of the proceeds go to the cause. That's beyond cool. It's also a great idea for a Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great round-up, Nora! I'm so pleased that I gave people something to think about, even for a couple of minutes :) I'm sorry we did not have a chance to chat much on Saturday but there's nothing stopping us getting together again in London before FBC10 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nora what a fab round-up and wrap-up of FBC09. It was so lovely to meet you, even if briefly. It ws such a hectic day and so much running around! I hope to see you soon again. Maybe in the NY we can all get together. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great round up Nora. I'm sorry we didn't get to meet each other but time ran out rather quickly didn't it. Hopefully next year there'll be more time for chatting and getting to know one another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the inclusion in your mouthwatering round-up - you are spot on when placing the boxty in the delicious stodge category - that it most certainly is :) Lovely to meet you (albeit incredibly briefly!) on Saturday and who knows, we may meet again at FBC10.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah - yay! The book does look really good, so I'm sure you won't be disappointed. The only problem is that is apparently shipping to Europe makes it a little bit expensive but if you can coincide ordering it with a trip to the States, perfect!
    Jeanne, Bethany, George and Ms Spud, it was good to meet most of you at FBC even if it was all too brief! I'm looking forward to seeing you all at FBC 2010, but would also love to pop down to London for a smaller get together sometime in the new year. It's not far at all and would be great to have a good chat over some nice lunch! Oh, and do let me know if there's a post about FBC that I've missed and I'll pop it in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Nora! The idea of a Wednesday round-up is a great one! How did you get started on it and how long have you been doing it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sarah,
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I started in May, simply because I was reading all these fantastic recipes on blogs but not keeping a record of them. So I thought, what better place to keep a list than on my blog? And I do go back through them looking for inspiration. If ever you fancy doing a round-up, just let me know! I'm always looking for new people to introduce me to new blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nora, sorry to be so late to comment but wanted to say how lovely it was to meet you at the FBC. Hope there will be more time at the next one to properly chat!
    Take care, Nic.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs