Wednesday, 17 March 2010

Wednesday round-up of deliciousness

Evening all. I hope you've all been having a lovely St Patrick's Day. And if you haven't celebrated yet, let me suggest you cook something! The Daily Spud has hosted the most amazing Paddy's Day Food Parade - soda bread, scones, colcannon, boxty and about a gazillion other cabbagey, bacony, potatoey, or just very green, good things. 
But if you overdose on the Guinness, apparently these Spiced pork buns are just the thing for a hangover. In fact, I think they look just the thing for all kinds of occasions - scrummy spiced pork surrounded by fluffy, glutinous dough. And while we're in pork territory, Korean Noodles in a black bean sauce with pork and vegetables and Stuffed pork chops both also look very tasty indeed. 
There were some rather tasty vegetarian options around this week. I thought that the Individual potato and onion tartes tatin and Paneer tikka were both the kind of ideas that you look at and think "Yes! Why have I never thought of that?" and I'm dying to give them both a go. This Coconut red lentil soup has a wonderful combination of flavours. And for the vegetarians like my Dad (i.e. not proper ones!), let me send you over to see these Fish balls in nut sauce - a dish just dripping in double entendres! And they look very tasty too - an excellent alternative to meatballs. 
Now, chocolate. Always a winner, especially in some of the sweets I spotted. Hazelnut and chocolate is one of my very favourite flavour combinations, so I was very excited to see these gorgeous Hazelnut and chocolate cupcakes. These Two tone chocolate muffins have chocolate truffles in the middle - a marvellous idea, I'm sure you'll agree! This Chocolate mud cake looks like a much more serious affair altogether - dense, dark and moist. And finally, it really is time I tried Whoopie pies, generally accepted to be the next big thing. And that recipe is blue-ribbon-winning, so it looks like a great place to start. 
Next, this Lemon upside down cake looks so pretty. The caramelised lemons on top look chewy and sweet and scrumptious. This Lemon tart 'Amandin' is a wonderful variation on Bakewell tart - I've just got to seek out the 'Amandin' nut mix. And I'm always a sucker for a rhubarb cake, so this Forced rhubarb and yoghurt cake is right up my street. It looks all moist and squishy. In fact it would be a marvellous addition to this amazing Mother's Day afternoon tea. One of these days I'm going to do that properly, with a cake stand and everything, just like Jules.
And finally a couple of delicious desserts with which to impress your friends. Salted butter caramel ice cream sounds spectacular - I REALLY need to get an ice cream maker! In the meantime, I shall be making Blueberry blintzes, which are crepes filled with ricotta cheese and pan-fried, before being covered in blueberry sauce. Yum yum yum!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Thank you for leading me to mud cake and salted butter caramel ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great round up Nora. Lucie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, thought I couldn't get more full but I'm hungry all over again reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Another great round up :)
    I've recently had a whole blog makeover, so please stop over and check it out. I'd love to know what you think. Plus I'm doing a £50 amazaon give away.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  5. An ice-cream maker is on my wish list too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs