Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Vietnamese-ish fresh spring rolls

I can't believe I don't make these all the time. I can't believe everyone doesn't make these all the time. Inspired by happy memories of Song Que, I thought I'd give them a go to use up some leftover beanthread noodles and vegetables lurking in the back of my fridge. As so often happens with my so-called leftover dishes, it required a little light shopping of unusual ingredients, but nothing a quick visit to my local Chinese supermarket couldn't sort out. I couldn't find a recipe online, so kind of made it up*. But that's what's so great about these little fellas - they're clearly going to be a new favourite for stuffing full of whatever veggies I've got handy. In this case, I did add prawns, but actually you couldn't really taste them, so next time I'd probably go veggie. I'm just annoyed that I've only discovered them right at the end of the summer. Fingers crossed for a balmy September, as they do really feel like warm weather food.


I'm not going to give a recipe, because if I winged it, then you probably can too. Just buy some round rice papers, soak them in a bowl of warm water for just a few seconds, pop on some cooked bean thread or rice noodles, then vegetables chopped into small sticks (I went for cucumber, carrots, bean sprouts and red pepper). Maybe add some prawns, and definitely some herbs (I just had mint, but I think next time I'll also have basil and maybe coriander. But to me, the mint is most important.). Roll it up as best you can. (Not sure I got the hang of it but just about managed to keep the filling in, which is the main thing. My one tip is that it seems to work better if you actually roll it up, trying to tuck filling in as you roll, rather than lifting one side of the rice paper over the top and then the other side.) Dip in a peanutty sauce. Mine was pleasingly called Satay Gravy. 


* Though now I've eaten them, I've found this one which might work.

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe I have never made these or any other Vietnamese food considering how much we miss our, almost weekly, visits to Song Que! I really need to get making bun, that combination of cold rice noodles, lightly pickled veg and hot grilled pork is one my absolute favourite things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, I'm glad someone in the UK had a summer to come to an end. A beginning would have been good. This does look tasty though, and with a Chinese supermarket round the corner I've no excuse unless of course there's a storm raging. Oh look! There's a storm raging. I'll put my wellies on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious!

    I am 15 and have just started my own food blog t0astfordinner.blogspot.co.uk it would really help me if you looked at my blog and commented or told people you know about it. Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  4. really like the blog! we've just started, lots of fun :)

    www.fedupanddrunk.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I'm from Spain and i have found your blog recentlly. It's very nice! Lovely recipes. Also I'm impressed with your style. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs